Welcome to the United States Coast Guard Leadership and Management School (LAMS). The Leadership and Management School is a one-week course designed to enhance supervisory skills for first line supervisors. The course develops skills in the following areas: communicating effectively, influencing others positively, creating an environment that motivates performance, getting the job done while taking care of subordinates, encouraging personal ethics, and promoting teamwork. This course has been evaluated by the American Council of Education, and has been awarded three college credits. All LAMS graduates receive this on their military transcripts.
FY13 ALCOAST Message
FY14 ALCOAST 248-13 Message
For a list of convening dates, go to the Training Quota Management Center (TQC) website.
Resident courses for LAMS are offered at TRACEN Petaluma, TRACEN Yorktown and the Coast Guard Academy Leadership Development Center (LDC). In addition, the LDC provides 80 to 100 LAMS Exportable Trainings during the fiscal year.
How To Apply
Submit ETR for Resident LAMS being held at TRACEN Petaluma, TRACEN Yorktown, or USCG Academy. If your command wishes to host an exportable training onboard your base, contact Juli.R.Petruzzelli@uscg.mil.
Target Audience (Active Duty and Reserve)
- E-5 (these personnel receive first priority for available seats)
- GS 9-11, O-1, O-2, and E-6 (these personnel receive secondary priority)
- O-1 and O-2 (it is highly recommended O-1s and O-2s attend regardless of accession-level LAMS training)
Other Eligible Personnel
- CG NAF employees (all), CG Work-Life (all)
- CG Auxiliary personnel (FC, VFC, and FSO)
- Other federal or state agency employees in positions of leadership
Selection for members to attend Resident LAMS are handled by TQC. Selection for members to attend LAMS exportable training is handled by the hosting command. Reserve members are authorized to only utilize ADT-OTD for exportable training in accordance with policy. Members who currently possess the LAMS course code, 340720, will be considered on a case-by-case basis as determined by the Lead Instructor. Ensure attendees are within their maximum allowable weight standards (MAWS) IAW PARA 2.K OF COMDTINST M1020.8D.
Only ODUs or Tropical Blue Long will be authorized.
What do you need to host a LAMS class?
- Identify between 18 and 24 students within the target audience.
- Assign a responsible point of contact to fill the quotas and coordinate logistics.
- Provide a classroom and two separate break-out rooms for the entire 5-day course, resources to show VCR tapes and power point presentations, two flip chart easels, TV, VCR, chart paper, and a dry-erase board.
- The LDC web page includes a LAMS host unit checklist which has valuable information for the unit POC and command.
American Council on Education (A.C.E.) Accreditation
Course #: 340720
Location: Coast Guard Academy, New London, Connecticut
Length: 1 week (38 hours)
Exhibit Dates: 10/08–Present
Credit Recommendation: In the upper-division baccalaureate degree category, 3 semester hours in leadership (8/12)