Dr. Luke Weinstein
U.S. Coast Guard Academy
Dr. Weinstein joined the faculty of the Coast Guard Academy in 2012. Previously, he taught in the undergraduate and graduate programs in the School of Business at the University of Connecticut for five years and served as the Founding Director of the Innovation Accelerator at the Connecticut Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation (CCEI) for four years where he mentored over forty high-tech early stage ventures.
Prior to academia, Dr. Weinstein was a successful serial high-tech entrepreneur. He has co-founded five ventures; been an early-stage employee in four other ventures; is an angel investor; a former venture capital partner; has served on the boards of several IT, web, and life sciences ventures; and was a mentor for Connecticut’s TechStart program. After selling his last venture to Fujitsu, Dr. Weinstein was a single parent to his now-college-student daughter Tara, obtained his Ph.D., and taught entrepreneurship for five years at UConn. Dr. Weinstein also currently runs an aviation services business. He focuses on web, software, and hardware technology but also has experience in bio-tech and medical devices. He has strong international business experience having lived and worked in seven countries on four continents. Originally a computer operating system and database developer, he understands both technology and business and how they inter-relate in successful ventures.
- Ph.D., Business Administration, University of Connecticut, 2008
- MBA, Technology Management, The Wharton School, 1983
- M.Sc., Computer and Software Engineering, University of Pennsylvania, 1983
- B.Sc., Mathematics, Carleton University, 1975
- Public Management Consulting
- AMA DSEF SIG Dissertation Research Grant, 2005
- NCSM Doctoral Fellow, 2004
- NSERC Scholarship, 1982, 1983
- Senate Medal for Outstanding Academic Achievement, 1975
- Academy of Management
- American Marketing Association