Dr. Ali Reza
U.S. Coast Guard Academy
Dr. Reza’s current position at the Academy is Professor of Electrical Engineering in the Department of Engineering. Before joining the U.S. Coast Guard Academy, he was employed at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (UWM) since July 1986. His last position and rank at UWM was tenured full professor. From July 2004 to June 2006 he was the co-chair of the Electrical Engineering in the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (EECS). Before applying for early retirement from UWM he was awarded the position of Professor Emeritus in the Department of EECS at UWM. After his early retirement from UWM and before joining the Academy, for three years, Dr. Reza was a Professor in the Department of Electrical Engineering at Amirkabir University of Technology (Tehran, Iran).
Dr. Reza’s industrial experience includes his experience as Electrical Engineer after obtaining his Master of Science and before starting his study towards his Ph.D. While at UWM, Dr. Reza had worked on many industrial related projects as consultant and/or worked on industries funded research projects. The companies that he worked with are AMACO, UNOCAL, Camtronics Medical Systems, Johnson Control, and Xilinx.
- Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, University of Wyoming, Laramie, Wyoming, May 1986
- M.S., Nuclear Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts, August 1978
- B.S., Electrical Engineering, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran, December 1975
- Electrical Engineering I
- Signals, Systems and Transforms
- Communication Systems
- Undergraduate: Advanced Engineering Mathematics, Electrical Engineering Circuits, Signals and Systems, Electronic Circuits, Microprocessors, and Probability and Statistics
- Undergraduate/Graduate: Control Systems Theory, Digital Signal Processing, Random Signals and Systems, Digital Filter Design, Communication Systems, and Introduction to Artificial Neural Networks
- Graduate: Advanced Linear Systems, Image Processing, Pattern Recognition; Stochastic, Neural and Fuzzy Approaches, Adaptive Filtering, Particle Filtering, Discrete Wavelet Transform in Signal Processing, Multidimensional Digital Signal Processing, Artificial Neural Networks & Applications, and Advanced Digital Signal Processing
The results of Dr. Reza’s research efforts along with his students and colleagues are published in more than hundred articles in refereed journals and conference proceedings. A small sample from his publications is given below:
- Ali M. Reza, “System Level Design of the Coding and Modeling of the Adaptive Arithmetic Coding Used in the JPEG2000,” International Journal of Information Engineering (IJIE), Vol.2, No. 3, September 2012.
- Ali M. Reza, and Lian Zhu, “Analysis of Error in the Fixed-Point Implementation of two-Dimensional Discrete Wavelet Transforms,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems, Vol. 52, No. 3, March 2005, pp. 641-655.
- Amjed S. Al-Fahoum and Ali M. Reza, “Perceptually Tuned JPEG Coder for Echocardiac Image Compression,” IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine, Vol. 8, No. 3, September 2004, pp. 313-320.
- Yousef M. Hawwar and Ali M. Reza, “Spatially Adaptive Multiplicative Noise Image Denoising Technique,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Vol. 11, No. 12, December 2002, pp. 1397-1404.
- Amjed S. Al-Fahoum and Ali M. Reza, “Combined Edge Crispiness and Statistical Differencing for Deblocking JPEG Compressed Images,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Vol. 10, No. 9, September 2001, pp. 1288-1298.
- Professor Emeritus, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee
- Senior Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Member of ASEE
- Member of Institute of Navigation (ION)