Dr. Ira Martin
Captain John A. Henriques Leadership Scholar
Department of Management
U.S. Coast Guard Academy
Dr. Ira H. Martin, is currently the John A. Henriques Leadership Scholar at the Institute for Leadership, and is an assistant professor in the Management Department. Dr. Martin’s primary responsibilities at the IFL center around teaching, researching, and assisting the IFL in support of leader development assessment and program evaluation. His research focuses on leader development in the academic and athletic settings with students, athletes, and coaches. Dr. Martin has previously taught at Boston University, Lasell College and Mount Ida College. An avid sport fan, and a hockey player for 20+ years, Dr. Martin volunteers his time as an assistant coach for the Academy club hockey team.
- Ed.D., Counseling and Human Development, Boston University, 2013
- Ed.M., Counseling and Human Development, Boston University, 2009
- B.S. Psychology, Suffolk University, 2008
- C.E.C., Certified Empowerment Coach, Institute for Professional Excellence in Coaching, 2008
- Organizational Behavior and Leadership (Course Coordinator)
- Baltzell, A., McCarthy, J., LoVerme Ahktar, V., Hurley, D., Martin, I., & Bowman, C. (2014). High school coaches’ sources of joy and unhappiness. Journal of Multidisciplinary Research, 6(3), 5-24.
- Jefferson, J., Martin, I., Owens, J. (2014). Leader development through reading and reflection. Journal of Leadership Studies.
- Baltzell, A., McCarthy, J., Hurley, D., LoVerme, V., Hurley, D., & Martin, I. (2014). Happiness and well-being models: Empirical support from high school coaching study. Athletic Insight, 6(2), 125-136.
- Chertok, G., Martin, I. (2013). Psychological aspects of concussion recovery. International Journal of Athletic Therapy and Training, 8(3), 7-9.
- Martin, I., Owens, C., Prophet, T. (April 2015). Corps leading the corps: Implications for leader development within the athletic domain. Springfield Psychology Conference, Springfield, MA.
- Martin, I., Naylor, A. (March 2015). An intentional approach to student-athlete leader development. Northeast Atlantic Sport Psychology Conference. Philadelphia, PA.
- Martin, I. (October 2014). Intentional Student-Athlete leader development. Association for Applied Sport Psychology Conference. Las Vegas, NV.
- Naylor, A., Martin, I., Madden, K. (October 2014). Youth sport coach motivators. Association for Applied Sport Psychology Conference. Las Vegas, NV.
- Martin, I. (April, 2014). Critical components of leadership in athlete development. What Works Summit Coaching Conference. The Institute for Rowing Leadership. Brighton, MA.
- Martin, I., Naylor, A. (March 2014). Leader development with a college sport team. Northeast Atlantic Sport Psychology Conference. Philadelphia, PA.
- Martin, I. (March 2014). Stress, coping, and burnout in Youth Sport Coaches. Northeast Atlantic Sport Psychology Conference. Philadelphia, PA.
United States Coast Guard Academy
- Summa Cum Laude
- Elizabeth S. Williams Award: Psychology Student of The Year
- Phi Sigma Tau National Honor Society: Philosophy
- Delta Alpha Pi Academic Honorary
- Psi Chi National Honor Society: Psychology
- Eastern Academy of Management
- Association for Applied Sport Psychology