U.S. Coast Guard Academy
A 1982 graduate of the Coast Guard Academy, CAPT Russell spent his first two years serving aboard the Coast Guard buoy tenders Conifer and Gentian. He then worked for three years on Governor’s Island, New York in Third District Civil Engineering. While in New York, he attended Columbia University and earned a M.S. degree in Civil Engineering.
1987, CAPT Russell reported to USCGA to teach Civil Engineering. Selected for Permanent Commissioned Teaching Staff in 1990, he has remained at CGA for more than 26 years. His current research interest and passion is building sustainable K-16 STEM pipelines for underserved populations; to that end he is working to build a nationwide network of educated and trained near-peer mentors and inspired STEM teachers, all facilitated with myriad fun hands-on experiential learning activities. He has served as Program Chair and Section Chief of Civil Engineering and as the Associate Dean of Academics. He currently serves as the Dean of Engineering and Chair of the Engineering Department.
- Ph.D., University of Massachusetts, 1995
- M.S., Business Administration, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 1991
- M.S., Civil Engineering, Columbia University, 1987
- B.S. with Honors, Civil Engineering, U.S. Coast Guard Academy, 1982
- Statics and Engineering Design
- Mechanics of Materials
- Material Science for Civil Engineers
- Structural Analysis
- Steel Design
- Reinforced Concrete Design
- Civil Engineering Design
- Calculus I
- Differential Equations
- Coast Guard History
- With Maggi, B., Jackson, H. and Tarhini, K. " Work in Progress: United States Coast Guard Academy Robotics on Water Competition as Recruiting Tool – Program Enhancement for STEM & Diversity Outreach." Frontiers in Education Conference. Rapid City, SD. Oct., 2011.
- With Rumsey, N. and Tarhini, K. "Innovative Approach to Teaching Undergraduate Reinforced Concrete Design." Frontiers in Education Conference. Wash., D.C. Oct., 2010.
- With Tarhini, K. and Jackson, H. "Work in Progress: United States Coast Guard Academy Robotics on Water – New Program for STEM & Diversity Outreach." Frontiers in Education Conference. Wash., D.C. Oct., 2010.
- With Hademenos, G, Birch, J. and Wosczyna-Birch, K. "Robotics on Water." Th Science Teacher, Vol. 77, No. 5, Summer 2010.
- With Seals, K. "Work in Progress – A New Program to Increase high School Students’ Interest in Engineering." Frontiers in Education Conference. Oct 19-22., 2005.
- “Statics and Engineering Design -- a New Freshman Engineering Course at the U. S. Coast Guard Academy” Frontiers in Education Conference, Boston, MA. Nov., 2002.
- The White House; Celebrating Excellence in Colleges of Engineering, Feb 2012
- U.S. Patent #5,750,894 “Measurement of Tension Using Natural Frequency of Vibration”
- DOT Special Award of Appreciation for Technological Achievement, 1998
- Numerous military awards
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- American Society of Engineering Education
- Professional Engineer, State of CT since 1989