Department of Humanities
U.S. Coast Guard Academy
LT Tony Gregg has been an active duty officer for the Coast Guard since 2008. His current assignment is instructor of Moral and Ethical Philosophy for the U.S. Coast Guard Academy. He is a cutterman and has spent most of his career conducting counter narcotics, alien migrant interdiction, marine protection, defense operations, and search and rescue.
LT Gregg entered the Coast Guard through the U.S. Coast Guard Academy in 2004. Upon graduation he served as the Supply Officer for U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Vigilant (WMEC 617), Cape Canaveral, Florida from 2008 to 2010. From there he was assigned as the Executive Officer to U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Aquidneck (WPB 1309) in support of Operations Enduring Freedom and New Dawn, in Manama, Bahrain from 2010 to 2011. After returning to the States, he was assigned as the Commanding Officer to U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Blackfin (WPB 13817), Santa Barbara, California from 2011 to 2013.
Upon completion of his tour in Santa Barbara, he was assigned as an instructor to the U.S. Coast Guard Academy. In preparation for this assignment he attended American University from 2013 to 2015. Since 2015, he has taught the Moral and Ethical Philosophy section offered by the Department of Humanities at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy.
- M.A. Ethics Peace and Global Affairs, American University, May 2015
- M.A. Criminal Justice, American Military University, November 2013
- B.S. Government Studies, U. S. Coast Guard Academy, May 2008
- Moral and Ethical Philosophy
- Galvanizing the Groundswell, Natural Resources Defense Council, presented on Commitment Platforms for Actions on Ocean Issues, April 2015.
- Climate Ethics and Economics Conference: University of Helsinki, presented on Transgenerational Justice and Climate Change, November 2014.
- Carnegie Council’s Centennial Celebration: Carnegie Council, presented on the Role of Value in Shaping our Future Natural Environment, October 2014.
- Carnegie Council Ethics Fellow for the Future from July 2014 to July 2015
- Inductee Pi Sigma Alpha, National Political Science honor society, May 2008
- Inductee Alpha Phi Sigma, National Criminal Justice honor society, May 2012
- LT Gregg’s military decorations include: Two Coast Guard Commendation Medals (both with operational distinguishing device), The Coast Guard Achievement Medal (with operational distinguishing device), Iraq Campaign Medal (with two campaign stars), and Global War on Terrorism Service Medal.