Christine M. Westphal
Department of Management
U.S. Coast Guard Academy
Christine Westphal joined the Management Department faculty of the United States Coast Guard Academy in 2013 and teaches Human Resource Management, Legal Environment of Business and Public Management Consulting. Her research focuses on how government regulation affects labor markets in United States and Asia. She previously held the position of Program Director for the Graduate programs in Human Resources at Suffolk University where she taught Human Resource Management and was a member of the Asian Studies Faculty. She holds a professional certification in Human Resources (PHR) from the HR Certification Institute and is member of the bar in Massachusetts and New Jersey. She is a member of the Advisory Committee for the Town of Brookline, Massachusetts.
- J.D., cum laude, New England School of Law, Boston, MA
- M.A., Political Science, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ
- B.A., Jersey City State University, Jersey City, NJ
- Human Resource Management
- Legal Environment of Business
- Public Management Consulting
- “Effects of Stakeholder Pressures on International Business: Apple and Foxconn” co-authored with Susan C. Wheeler; Business Law Review; Volume 47, Spring/Summer 2014.
- “Restrictive Covenants in Employment Contracts: Regulating Employee Solicitation” Journal of Legislation; Notre Dame Law School; Volume 37, Number 1, 2011.
- “Increasing Wages in China: Government Manipulation of Wage Rates Without Direct Regulation” (with Susan C. Wheeler) North East Journal
of Legal Studies; Volume 18, Fall 2007.(D)
- “Work Life” and “Manufacturing”;
Cultural Sociology of the Middle East, Asia and Africa: An EncyclopediaVolume 3; Cultural Sociology of East and Southeast Asia: Part 3 1900 to
Present Edward Ramsey, Andrea L. Stanton, Peter J. Seybolt, and Carolyn Elliott Editors. SAGE Publications, 2012. (L)
- ““Political, Economic, and Public Policy Constraints on the Use of Employment Contracts to Protect Intellectual Property in China and the United States” in Oswald and Pagnattaro, Managing the Nexus Between Intellectual Property and Employees in Domestic and Global Contexts (Northampton, MA: Edward Elgar, Forthcoming 2015) (D)
- Academy of Legal Studies in Business
- Society of Human Resource Management
- North Atlantic Regional Business Law Association