CDR Russell E. Bowman, JD
U.S. Coast Guard Academy
Commander Bowman joined the Academy’s faculty in July of 2009, after having served as a legal advisor to Coast Guard operational commanders throughout New England on a wide variety of issues, including: maritime homeland security, maritime law enforcement, environmental protection and compliance, administrative law, and military justice. Additionally, Commander Bowman has prosecuted courts-martial as trial counsel, and has assisted the Department of Justice in prosecuting Coast Guard-initiated criminal cases, including as a Special Assistant U.S. Attorney.
In the Summer of 2010, Commander Bowman deployed as a legal advisor to the National Incident Command for the response to the Deepwater Horizon Spill of National Significance in Washington, D.C. He returned to the Academy for the Fall 2010 semester and assumed duties and responsibilities as Chief of the Law Section. Selected to serve as a member of the Academy’s Permanent Commissioned Teaching Staff in 2012, Commander Bowman transitioned to the Government, History, and Ethics Section where he teaches in the Politics, Policy, and Law concentration of the recently redesigned Government Major.
Operationally, Commander Bowman served as the Assistant Senior Investigating Officer, the Assistant Supervisor of Port Safety and Security, and as the Command Public Affairs Officer for Coast Guard Sector Baltimore, the parent command for Coast Guard operations on the Upper Chesapeake Bay and Potomac River. Commander Bowman also served for two years aboard the Coast Guard Cutter Red Birch (WLM 687) as its Operations Officer.
- Judge Advocate certification, U.S. Naval Justice School, October 2005
- Juris Doctor (JD) cum laude, University of Maryland School of Law, May 2005
- Bachelor of Science (Marine and Environmental Science) with High Honors, U. S. Coast Guard Academy, May 1996
- Criminal Justice
- Maritime Law Enforcement
- (Principles of) American Government
- Rhetoric and Courtroom Advocacy
- History of the U.S. Coast Guard
- Conference Co-Chair and Panel Moderator, “Leadership for the Arctic,” an inter-disciplinary Academic Conference co-sponsored by the Law of the Sea Institute and the U.S. Coast Guard Academy (April 2012)
- Lecturer/facilitator, “Legal Aspects of Border and Maritime Security,” Defense Institute of International Legal Studies-sponsored seminar in Baku, Azerbaijan (April 2009)
- Presenter, “Recent Developments in Environmental Crimes Prosecutions,” Massachusetts Maritime Academy’s Maritime Education Summit (April 2009)
- Global Cornerstones for Environmental Recovery in Iraq: a Comparative Law and Policy Analysis of Lessons in Environmental Response and Remediation, New York University Environmental Law Journal (2005)
- Two Department of Justice Certificates of Commendation
- William Strobel Thomas Prize
- Military awards include the Meritorious Service Medal, three Coast Guard Commendation Medals and the Coast Guard Achievement Medal
- Bar of the Supreme Court of the United States
- Maryland Bar