Michael H. Schuster, J.D., Ph.D.
Management Department ring
U.S. Coast Guard Academy
Dr. Schuster is one of the recognized authorities in human resource and compensation strategy, gainsharing and organizational change. He has presented more than one hundred papers at professional conferences and has published more than fifty articles on human resource strategy and organizational change in union settings, as well as gainsharing and productivity improvement. Dr. Schuster is Professor Emeritus at the Whitman School of Management, Syracuse University (2000-present), as well as Managing Partner of Competitive Human Resources Strategies, LLC (CHRS), a leading provider of organization effectiveness and human resources consulting and education resources to Fortune 500 companies. Dr. Schuster also served on the Rhode Island Board of Governors for Higher Education from 2001-2006.
In addition, Dr. Schuster was Director of the Employment Studies Institute at Syracuse University from 1985-88, is a consulting editor at the Journal of Applied Behavioral Science and is a reviewer in Industrial and Labor Relations at numerous journals including the Academy of Management Journal, Journal of Labor Research, British Journal of Industrial Relations, and Journal of Communications Research.
- Ph.D., Syracuse University, Whitman School of Management, 1979
- J.D., Syracuse University, College of Law, 1977
- M.S., University of Massachusetts, 1974
- B.A., University of Rhode Island, 1972
- Public Management Consulting
- Leadership and Organizational Development
- Union-Management Cooperation: Structure, Process, and Impact. Kalamazoo, Michigan: W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research, 1984. Named by Choice (American Library Association) as one of the Outstanding Academic Publications of 1985.
- Managing the Aging Workforce: Research and Recommendations. Beverly Hills, California: Sage Publications, 1983 (with C. Miller, M. Doering and S. Rhodes).
- “Organizational Change in Union Settings—Labor-Management Partnerships: The Past and the Future,” (with Steve Weidman), Human Resource Planning, Vol. 29 (2), 2006, pp. 45-51.
- "The Anatomy of a Failure: A Non-Recommended Application of Gainsharing and Its Predictable Effects on Productivity in a Public Sector Setting," (with C. Miller), Public Administration Quarterly, Vol. 19(2), 1995, pp. 217-242.
- "Support for Profit-Sharing and Organizational Commitment: A Path Analysis," (with G. Florkowski), Human Relations, Vol. 45(5), 1992, pp. 507-523.
- "The Impact of Performance Appraisal Methods on ADEA Cases" (with J. Kaspin and C. Miller), Personnel Psychology, Vol. 43(3), 1990, pp. 555-578.
- "Union-Management Cooperation," in J. Fossum, Labor Relations, Bureau of National Affairs, 1990.
- "Innovative Compensation Systems," U.S. Department of Labor, Papers of the National Commission on Workforce Quality and Labor Market Efficiency, 1989, pp. 1727-1773.
- "Reassessing the Impact of Time on Union Representation Elections" (with G. Florkowski), Journal of Labor Research, 1987, pp. 191-207.
- "The Impact of Overtime Work on Industrial Accidents" (with S. Rhodes), Industrial Relations, 1985, Vol. 24, pp. 234-246.
- "Models of Cooperation and Change in Union Settings," Industrial Relations, Vol. 24(3), Fall 1985, pp. 382-394.
- "An Empirical Assessment of the Age Discrimination in Employment Act" (with C. Miller), Industrial and Labor Relations Review, Vol. 38(1), October 1984, pp. 64-74.
- "Cooperation and Change in Union Settings: Problems and Opportunities," Human Resource Management, Vol. 23(2), 1984, pp. 145-160.
- "The Scanlon Plan: A Longitudinal Analysis," Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, Vol. 20(1), 1984, pp. 23-38.
- "The Impact of Union-Management Cooperation on Productivity and Employment," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, Vol. 36(3), 1983, pp. 415-430. Reprinted in T. S. Bateman and G. R. Ferris, Methods and Analysis in Organizational Research, Reston, VA: Reston Publishing Company, 1984, pp. 292-310.
- Beta Gamma Sigma Honorary Society
- Senior Fulbright Scholar, London School of Economics and Political Science, 1982-1983
- Fulbright Scholar, University of Tel Aviv, 1983
- Visiting Scholar, University of Pisa, 1985
- Research Grants have been received from the United States Department of Labor, Andrus Foundation, General Electric Corporation, General Electric Foundation, W. E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research, National Science Foundation, New York State Health Research Council, Syracuse University
- Academy of Management
- Industrial Relations Research Association