CDR Tiffany M. St. George
U.S. Coast Guard Academy
Commander St. George earned a B.S. (with Honors) in Marine Science from the U.S. Coast Guard Academy in 1994. After graduation, she served as an Engineering Officer in Training and Damage Control Assistant aboard the USCGC Hamilton homeported in San Pedro, CA. In 1996, she was selected for Naval Flight Training and reported to Pensacola, Fl. She earned her “wings of gold” in August of 1997. CDR St. George reported to Air Station San Francisco as an HH65-A copilot in the Fall of 1997 where she flew in support of Search and Rescue, Law Enforcement, Marine Fisheries, Public Affairs, and Aircrew Training missions. During this time, she quickly upgraded to Aircraft Commander and held a host of collateral duties in many areas including Public Affairs, Flight Services, and Educational Services. In 2001, she transferred to Air Station New Orleans and served as the Supply Department Head in addition to her assigned flight duties as an Aircraft Commander on the HH65-A/B aircraft. CDR St. George was assigned to the Coast Guard Academy as the Golf Company officer in 2003 where she fulfilled the duties of Uniform Officer, Aviation Officer, and Senior Company Officer. She was selected for post graduate training and earned an M.S. in Chemistry from the University of Connecticut in 2008 where she is currently pursuing her doctoral degree. Her graduate research focuses on the utilization of passive sampling methods to detect organic contaminants in aquatic environments.
- University of Connecticut, M.S. Chemistry, 2008
- U.S. Coast Guard Academy, B.S. Marine Science (with honors), 1994
- General Chemistry
- Hazardous Materials
- St. George T., Vlahos P., Harner T., Helm P., Wilford B., 2011. A Rapidly Equilibrating, Thin-Film, Passive Water Sampler for Organic Contaminants; Characterization and Field Testing. Environmental Pollution 159, 481-486.
- St. George T.and Vlahos P., 2009. Detection of Organic Contaminants in the Thames River Estuary Using Thin Film Passive Samplers. Presented at the Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry Europe annual meeting, Göteborg, Sweden.
- Vlahos P. and St. George T., 2009. Emerging Contaminants in the Southern Ocean Atmosphere. Presented at the Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry Europe annual meeting, Göteborg, Sweden.
- Vlahos P., St. George T., and Harner T., 2009. Equilibrating Thin Film Passive Samplers for Measuring Contaminant Fugacities in Marine Systems. Presented at the 3rd Annual International Passive Sampling Workshop and Symposium, Prague, Czech Republic.
- St. George T. and Vlahos P., 2008. Detection of Organic Contaminants in the Thames River Estuary using Passive Sampling Methods. Presented at the Long Island Sound Biennial Research Conference, New London, CT.
- St. George T. and Vlahos P., 2007. Organic Contaminants in the Thames River Estuary: Development of a passive sampler for the sediment-water interface. Presented at the Estuarine Research Federation Conference, Providence, RI.