Glenn S. Frysinger
Science Department, Chemistry Section
U.S. Coast Guard Academy
Professor Frysinger graduated from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, New York in 1992 after earning a B.S., M.S., and Ph.D. in chemistry. He was a Postdoctoral Fellow at SRI International in Menlo Park California from 1992 to 1994 where he did research in the areas of laser spectroscopy and the optical properties of ocean water. Professor Frysinger has been a member of the U.S. Coast Guard Academy faculty since 1994. He teaches General Chemistry and upper-level chemistry classes in the Marine & Environmental Science major. Professor Frysinger has an active research program centered on the development of multi-dimensional gas chromatography – mass spectrometry methods to analyze complex chemical mixtures like petroleum for oil spill fingerprinting, fire debris for forensic arson determination, and sediment extracts for geochemical and environmental analysis.
- M.S, Ph.D., Physical Chemistry, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 1992
- B.S., Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 1987
- Analytical Methods in Chemistry
- Physical Chemistry
- General Chemistry
- Richard B. Gaines, Glenn S. Frysinger, Christopher M. Reddy, Robert K. Nelson, Oil Spill Identification by Comprehensive Two-Dimensional Gas Chromatography (GC × GC), Chapter 5, in Oil Spill Environmental Forensics – Fingerprinting and Source Identification. Z. Wang, S.A. Stout Eds. Elsevier (2007)
- Glenn S. Frysinger, Richard B. Gaines, Li Xu, Christopher M. Reddy, Resolving the Unresolved Complex Mixture in Petroleum Contaminated Sediments, Environmental Science and Technology, Vol. 37(8) (2003) 1653-1662.
- Glenn S. Frysinger, Richard B. Gaines, Forensic Analysis of Ignitable Liquids in Fire Debris by Comprehensive Two-Dimensional Gas Chromatography, J. Forensic Science, Vol. 47 (2002), pp. 471-482.
- Li Xu, Christopher M. Reddy, John W. Farrington, Glenn S. Frysinger, Richard B. Gaines, Carl G. Johnson, Robert K. Nelson, Timothy I. Eglinton, Identification of a Novel Alkenone in Black Sea Sediments, Organic Geochemistry, Vol. 32 (2001), pp. 633-645.
- Richard B. Gaines, Glenn S. Frysinger, Martha S. Hendrick-Smith, James D. Stuart, Oil Spill Identification by Comprehensive Two-Dimensional Gas Chromatography (GC × GC), Environmental Science &Technology, Vol. 33 (1999) pp. 2106-2112.
- Glenn S. Frysinger, Richard B. Gaines, Comprehensive Two-Dimensional Gas Chromatography with Mass Spectrometric Detection (GC × GC/MS) Applied to the Analysis of Petroleum, J. High Resolution Chromatography, Vol. 22 (1999) pp. 251-255.
- American Chemical Society
- American Geophysical Union
- American Civil Liberties Union