LCDR CHRISTOHER M. ARMSTRONG
Electrical Engineering, Instructor
Department of Engineering
U.S. Coast Guard Academy
LCDR Armstrong was commissioned in the U. S. Coast Guard after graduating from the Coast Guard Academy in 2001 with a Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering. His first assignment was as an Engineer Officer in Training and Damage Control Assistant on board CGC Bear (WMEC 901) in Portsmouth, Virginia from June 2001 to May 2003. He then attended the University of Rhode Island, where he graduated in May 2005 with a Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering. From there he was assigned to CGHQ (CG-D then CG-933) as the C4ISR Program Manager for the design and construction of the National Security Cutter from June 2005 to May 2009. LDCR Armstrong was then assigned as the Operations Officer to Electronic Systems Support Unit (ESU) Miami from June 2009 until June 2011. After two years, LCDR Armstrong was fleeted up to the Executive Officer (XO) until his departure in June 2013.
In the summer of 2013, LCDR Armstrong returned to the Coast Guard Academy as an Assistant Professor of Electrical Engineering. Originally from southern New Jersey, he currently lives in Newport, Rhode Island with his wife, who is a Civil Engineer for the Coast Guard out of CEU Providence.
- M.S.E.E., University of Rhode Island, 2005
- Masters Certification in Project Management, The George Washington University, 2012
- B.S.E.E., United States Coast Guard Academy, 2001
- Principles of Electronic Communications Systems
- C. Armstrong, P. Swaszek, G. Johnson, R. Hartnett, “Investigating the Use of WAAS as a Navigational Tool for Coast Guard and Civilian Maritime Use” Proceedings of the Institute of Navigation National Technical Meeting, San Diego, CA, 24-27 January, 2005.
- K. Gross, M. McKaughan, R. Hartnett, L. Hartshorn, D. Everette and C. Armstrong, "Directional Signal Strength Sensor for Differential GPS Beacons ,"Proceedings of The 2002 Institute of Navigation National Technical Meeting, San Diego, CA, January 2002.
- Meritorious Service Medal, 2013
- Coast Guard Commendation Medal, 2009
- Coast Guard Achievement Medal, 2003, 2008
- The Armed Forces Communications and Electronics Association (AFCEA) 2008 Copernicus Award Recipient
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Society of American Military Engineers (SAME)
- American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE)
- Military Officers Association of America (MOAA)