CAPT Kurt A. Sebastian, Ph.D.
Department of Mathematics
U.S. Coast Guard Academy
Captain Sebastian joined the Permanent Commissioned Teaching Staff at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy in 1999. His previous assignments included Deck Watch Officer aboard USCGC Decisive, Commanding Officer of USCGC Point Arena, Rotating Military Faculty at USCGA, Chief of Cadet Administration at USCGA, and Alpha Company Officer at USCGA.
- Ph.D., Applied Mathematics, Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island, USA
Thesis: Multi Domain Weighted Essentially Non Oscillatory (WENO) Method with Interpolation at Subdomain Interfaces.
- M.Sc., Applied Mathematics, Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island, USA
- B.Sc., Mathematical and Computer Sciences, United States Coast Guard Academy, New London, Connecticut, USA
- Advanced Calculus
- Advanced Engineering Mathematics
- BEARS – Freshman Orientation Course
- Calculus I, II, III (Multivariable Calculus)
- CGA Summer Math for Incoming Freshman
- Differential Equations
- FCAOP – Freshman Orientation Course
- Linear Algebra
- Linear Optimization
- Linear Regression
- Network Modeling and Nonlinear Optimization
- Numerical Analysis
- Probability and Statistics
- Probability Models
- K. Sebastian and C.-W. Shu, Multidomain WENO Finite Difference Method with Interpolation at Subdomain Interfaces, Journal of Scientific Computing, Vol. 19, Nos. 1-3, December 2003.
- K. Kremeyer, K. Sebastian, and C.-W. Shu, Computational Study of Shock Mitigation and Drag Reduction by Pulsed Energy Lines, American Institute of Aeronautics and astronautics (AIAA) Journal, Vol. 44, No. 8, August 2006.
- 6th International Conference on Spectral and High Order Methods 2004 (ICOSAHOM 2004), Multidomain WENO Finite Difference Method with Interpolation at Subdomain Interfaces, Brown University, Providence, RI, June 2004.
- 42nd American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) Aerospace Sciences Meeting, Lines of Pulsed Energy: Shock Mitigation and Drag Reduction, Reno, Nevada, January 2004.
- 5th International Congress on Industrial and Applied Mathematics (ICIAM), Multidomain WENO Finite Difference Method with Interpolation at Subdomain Interfaces, Sydney, Australia, July 2003.
- USCG Academy Satterlee Hall Room Scheduling, 2012
- USCG District One Living Marine Resource Enforcement Optimization, 2012
- USCG Enlisted Critical Rate Management, 2012
- USCG Promotion Zone Forecasting, 2012
- USCG Aviation Logistics Center Parts Forecasting, 2011
- USCG District One Command Center Watch Relief Scheduling, 2009
- USCG Officer Specialty Accession Point Mix, 2008
- USCG Pandemic Influenza Effects, 2008
- U.S. Coast Guard Achievement Medal (2)
- U.S. Coast Guard Commendation Medal
- U.S. Coast Guard Medals including National Defense, Humanitarian Service and Rifle Expert
- U.S. Coast Guard Ribbons including Department of Transportation Bar, Unit Commendation, Meritorious Unit Commendation, Meritorious Team Commendation, Bicentennial Unit
- Commendation, Special Operations, and Pistol Marksmanship
- U.S. Coast Guard Academy Parent’s Association Award for Graduating First in Class Militarily
- Visiting Professor, Brown University
- Core Curriculum Review Task Force, 2012-Present
- Curriculum Committee, 2003-Present, Chair 2012-Present
- Credentials Committee, 2009-Present
- Civilian Faculty Hiring Committee, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2005, 2004, 2003
- Academic Council, 2006-2009
- Guide to Officership and Leadership Development Committee, 2007-2009
- Calculus Text Review Committee, 2002-2003
- Department of Mathematics Building Move, 1996-1997
- Homecoming Project Officer, 1996-1997
- Cadet Candidate Evaluation Board, 1994-1997
- Faculty Senate, 1994-1997, 2012-Present
- Technology in the Classroom Working Group, 1995-1996
- Parents Advisory Board to Coast Guard Child Development Center, 1995-1996
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM)
- Mathematical Association of America (MAA)
- American Institute for Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)