U.S. Coast Guard Academy
Prior to joining the Academy’s faculty, LT Gibbons served at the Legal Service Command (LSC) in Norfolk, Virginia. LT Gibbons spent one year working in the Mission Support Branch (formerly, General Law). From there, she was assigned as Defense Counsel at the Navy Legal Service Office (NLSO) Mid-Atlantic in Norfolk, Virginia. While at the NLSO, LT Gibbons served as Defense Counsel, representing Navy and Marine Corps personnel in courts-martial and administrative hearings. In Summer 2010, LT Gibbons transitioned into the Military Justice Branch at the LSC where she provided command advice and served as Trial Counsel in courts-martial and administrative hearings. In December 2010, she was assigned as a Staff Attorney to Coast Guard Fifth District, where she provided advice and assistance to operational commanders in the areas of operations law, the use of force, maritime law enforcement, military personnel actions, military justice, field regulations and administrative and claims investigations. In addition, LT Gibbons served as a Special Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of North Carolina, assisting the Department of Justice with the prosecution of Coast Guard-initiated criminal cases.
LT Gibbons holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in English Literature from the University of San Diego and a Juris Doctor from the William S. Richardson School of Law at University of Hawai`i at Manoa. Prior to attending law school, LT Gibbons worked as a junior high school teacher. After joining the California Bar in 2006, she practiced law in Southern California, with a focus in Estate Planning. LT Gibbons was commissioned into the United States Coast Guard in May 2008 as a Direct Commission Lawyer.
- Judge Advocate certification, U.S. Naval Justice School, December 2008
- Juris Doctor (JD), William S. Richardson School of Law, University of Hawai`i, 2005
- Bachelor of Arts (English Literature), University of San Diego, 2001
- ABA LAMP Committee Legal Assistance Award, December 2008
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award, Second Year Seminar, Spring 2005
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award, Legal Method Seminar, Fall 2003
- Coast Guard Commendation Medal
- Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal
- Coast Guard Meritorious Unit Commendation (2)
- Coast Guard Meritorious Team Commendation
- Bar of the Supreme Court of the United States
- Central District of California
- State Bar of California