CG-2 Liaison to the USCGA
U.S. Coast Guard Academy
LCDR Sweeney is the Director of the Intelligence Development Program, responsible for teaching intelligence studies to cadets and providing intelligence-training support to students at the USCG Leadership Development Center. The Intelligence Development Program provides current and future Coast Guard leaders with the education and training to understand the role of intelligence in Coast Guard operations and its ability to enhance decision-making processes.
Previous to his assignment at the Coast Guard Academy, LCDR Sweeney served as the Chief of Intelligence for the Ninth Coast Guard District, Enforcement Officer at Sector Buffalo, and Operations Officer at the Special Missions Training Center. He also served in the U.S. Army and the U.S. Marshals Service.
- M.S., Strategic Intelligence, National Defense Intelligence College
- M.A., Security Studies, Naval Postgraduate School
- B.S., Criminal Justice, Buffalo State College
- National Security Policy
- Intelligence and Democracy
- Strategic Intelligence: Collections and Analysis
- Coast Guard History
- Thesis: Foreign-Flagged Vessels in the Great Lakes: Risk to Homeland Security.
- Thesis: The Role of Intelligence in the National Incident Management System/ Incident Command System.
- Meritorious Service Medal w/ operational distinguishing device
- Coast Guard Commendation Medal (4) w/ operational distinguishing devices
- Army Commendation Medal
- 9-11 Medal
- Army Achievement Medal (3)
- Expert Infantryman Badge
- Senior Parachutist Badge