LCDR JOSEPH G. CALLAGHAN
Department of Humanities
U.S. Coast Guard Academy
LCDR Callaghan enlisted in the Coast Guard in 1989, served as a Boatswain’s mate in the enlisted corps for 11 years, and attained the rank of Petty Officer First Class. While enlisted he served in three ships: USCGCs Salvia, Sweetgum, and Nunivak. His enlisted shore assignments included CG Station St. Inigoes and MSO Charleston. In 2001, he received his commission as an ensign from USCG Officer Candidate School in New London, Connecticut. As an officer, he has served as a Deck Watch Officer aboard USCGC Harriet Lane and as Operations Officer aboard USCGC Fir. Recent shore assignments include Analysis and Information Management Chief for the USCG Intelligence Coordination Center and Operations Officer, USCG Maritime Force Protection Unit Kings Bay. Additionally, LCDR Callaghan was assigned to CG-2 while completing a post-graduate degree program at the National Intelligence University, and subsequently served as the Sector Intelligence Officer for Sector Boston.
LCDR Callaghan holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Organizational Management from Ashford University and a Master of Science of Strategic Intelligence from the National Intelligence University. He is currently working toward his second masters in Cybersecurity through University of Maryland University College.
- M.S., Strategic Intelligence, National Intelligence University
- B.A., Organizational Management, Ashford University
- National Security Policy
- Intelligence and Democracy
- Strategic Intelligence: Collection and Analysis
- Intelligence and Cyber Security
- Military awards include three Coast Guard Commendation Medals, three Coast Guard Achievement Medals, four Commandant’s Letter of Commendations Ribbons, and numerous other personal and unit awards.