Paul B. Crilly
Electrical Engineering, Professor
Department of Engineering
U.S. Coast Guard Academy
Paul B. Crilly is currently a professor at the Coast Guard Academy. Before coming to the Academy, he spent 22 years on the faculty at the University of Tennessee. During that time, he served for 18 months as an IEEE-USA Congressional Fellow. He has co-authored two books, authored or co-authored over 50 technical publications and has received three patents. His current research is in navigation. Dr. Crilly is also an ABET evaluator.
- Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, New Mexico State University, 1987
- M.Eng., Electrical Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 1978
- B.S., Electrical Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 1977
- Wireless Communications
- Radio Navigation
- Digital Signal Processing (DSP)
- Biomedical DSP
- Digital Systems
- Logic Design
- Communication Systems
- Digital Signal Processing
- Logic Design
- Circuits and Electronics
- Electromechanical Systems
- Feedback Control Systems
- Electromagnetics and Antennas
- Numerical Methods
- Communication Systems, by Carlson, Crilly and Rutledgte, 4th (2002) and 5th editions (2010), McGraw-Hill
- Deconvolution, Second edition (1997), Academic Press. Author for chapters: "Convergence of Iterative Deconvolution Algorithms" and "Deconvolution Examples"
- "Method For Analyzing Chromatograms," U.S. Patent Number 4,941,101. "Microprocessor Based Arc Air Welder Noise Abatement Control," U.S. Patent Number 4, 320,282. "Headspace Sampling System," U.S. Patent Number 5,363,707.
- Srijanto, B., Crilly, P., and Ferrell, T., “Piezoresistive Microcantilevers-based Cocaine Biosensors,” Sensor Letters, 2012.
- Z. Crane, P.B. Crilly, and S. Smith, “Short Distance Ground Wave Propagation In Irregular And Forested Environments,” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, in review, 2012.
Xiao Ma, Seddik M. Djouadi, Paul Crilly, and Stephen F. Smith, “Navigation Strategy in GPS-Denied Environments with the Aid of the Theater Positioning System,” Journal of Navigation, published by Institute of Navigation, in review, 2012.
- Xiao Ma, Seddik M. Djouadi, Paul Crilly, Samir Sahyoun, and Stephen F. Smith, “Improved Localization in GPS-Denied Environments using an Autoregressive Model and a Generalized Linear Model,” MILCOM 2011, Baltimore.
- Xiao Ma, Seddik M. Djouadi, Samir Sahyoun, Paul Crilly, and Stephen F. Smith, “Navigation in GPS-Denied Environments,” 14th International Conference on Information Fusion, pp. 1686-1692, Chicago, 2011.
- Xiao Ma, Paul B. Crilly, Seddik M. Djouadi, and Stephen F. Smith, “Accurate and High-Resolution Location Estimation in GPS Denied Environments,” Autonomous Weapons Summit and GNC Challenges for Miniature Autonomous Systems Workshop, Oct, Fort Walton Beach, FL, 2010.
- F. Boughorbal, P. Crilly, A. Koschan, and M . Abidi, "Motion Estimation Without Correspondences Using a Search for the Best Structure," Pattern Recognition Letters, vol. 24, Jan. 2003.
- P.B. Crilly, E. L. Bonaldi, L.E. Lacarda de Oliveira, and L.B. da Silva, "A Novel Small Signal Power Line Quality Measurement System," IEEE Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conference, 5/03.
- P.B. Crilly, A. Bernardi, P. Jansson L. B. Silva, and, "Improved Speed of Convergence For Jansson's Iterative Deconvolution Method," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, December 2002.
- P.B. Crilly, L. B. Silva, and A. Bernardi, "Improved Speed of Convergence For Jansson's Iterative Deconvolution Method," " IEEE Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conference, 5/00.
- S. Horner, W. Holls, and P. Crilly, "A Robust Real Time Algorithm for Enhancing a Non invasive Fetal Electrocardiogram." Digital Signal Processing/A Review Journal, 8/95.
- T.L. Ferrell, P.B. Crilly, S.F. Smith, A.L. Wintenberg, C.L. Britton, G.W. Morrison, M.N. Ericson, D.L. Hedden, D. Bouldin, A. Passian, T. Downey, A. Wig, and F. Meriaudeau, "Medical Telesensors", Proceedings of the S.P.I.E Photonics West Conference, (San Jose, CA) 198-203 (1998). (Invited)
- T.L. Ferrell, P.B. Crilly, S.F. Smith, A.L. Wintenberg, C.L. Britton, G.W. Morrison, M.N. Ericson, D.L. Hedden, D. Bouldin, A. Passian, T. Downey, A. Wig, and F. Meriaudeau,, "A Temperature Telesensor ASIC", Proceedings of the Medicine Meets Virtual Reality VI Conference, (San Diego, CA), Jan. 22-26, 1998. (Invited)
- D. Rohrabacher, and P. Crilly. "The Case For A Strong Patent System" Harvard Journal of Law and Technology, 7/95.
- P. Crilly. "Error Analysis With Deconvolution Algorithms" IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, 2/93.
- R. Whitted, and P. Crilly. "A Digital Signal Processing Architecture For Iterative Deconvolution Restoration Algorithms" IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, 4/92.
- P. Crilly. "Increased Throughput For Process Chromatography Using Constrained Deconvolution." IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 2/92.
- P. Crilly. "Convergence Issues for Iterative Deconvolution Signal Restoration Algorithms." Chemometrics and Intelligent Laboratory Systems, 1992.
- M. Weber, P. Crilly, and W. Blass. "Adaptive Noise Filtering Using an Error Backpropagation Neural Network" IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, 10/91.
- P. B. Crilly. "A Quantitative Evaluation of Various Iterative Deconvolution Algorithms." IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, vol. 40, pp. 558 562, 6/91.
- “So you want to be a millionaire, part 2,” Today’s Engineer (IEEE-USA), 4/2009, “So you want to be a millionaire,” Today’s Engineer (IEEE-USA), 11/2003, "Wealth Creation and the Role of Inventions" Discovery, 12/95.
- "H.R. 359, or Why Not a Guaranteed Patent Term" U.S. House of Representatives, Committee on the Judiciary, 11/95.
- "Environmental Legislation in the 104th Congress" Institute for Packaging Consortium, 5/95.
- "Patent Legislation in the 104th Congress" Association of Technology Managers (AUTM), 3/95. Gave same talk to the: Government Patent Lawers Association, TN Inven Assoc, ORNL Inventors Assoc.
- "Working in a Congressional Office" East Tennessee IEEE section, 4/95, and gave same talk to the IEEE 1995 Pace Conference, Phoenix, AZ.
- "Biotechnology and Why A Strong Patent System" Department of Commerce, Patent and Trademark Office Hearing, San Diego, 10/94. Given by Rep. Rohrabacher, testimony drafted by Paul Crilly.
- "Keeping U.S. Patent Protection" U.S. House of Representatives, Committee on the Judiciary, 8/94. Given by Rep. Rohrabacher, testimony drafted by Paul Crilly
- "America needs a cheaper way to put payloads in space" Washington Times, 7/26/94. Author: Rep. Rohrabacher, drafted by Paul Crilly. "Lets fix trade pact to protect U.S. Inventors" Washington Times, 7/17/94 Author: Rep. Rohrabacher, drafted by Paul Crilly.
- "Keeping US Patent Protections" Journal of Commerce, 5/21/94. Author: Rep. Rohrabacher, drafted by Paul Crilly.
Advising Award, 2009, 2010, Outstanding Faculty Member, 2009, 2010, Min Gao Faculty Fellowship (2006, 2008), Gonzalez Excellence in Teaching Award (2005), Charles Ferris College Award (2005), Outstanding Advisor Award, College of Engineering, (2004, 2007, 2009); Eta Kappa Nu Outstanding Teaching Award ( 2001, 2003); IEEE Senior Member; Eta Kappa Nu; TauBetaPi.
U.S. Dept. of Justice, National Institute of Justice: Reviewer for law enforcement proposals 2002-2005, ORAU, Panel Reviewer for Homeland Security Proposals, 2003-2006, Expert witness, for various law firms. Ceramaspeed: Evaluate OEM components, 12/99, Polymore: Oscillator design, 5/2000, Widata Corporation: spread spectrum radio propagation and location. 2/99.
- The University of Tennessee Knoxville: Associate Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Department (EECS) (promoted & tenured: 7/92). Research and teach in areas of computer engineering, communication and digital signal processing. 8/89 present.
- Chief Advisor for EECS Department. Advise students on academic review, sign off on course waivers, transfer substitutions, and regular advisor of 40 students/year. 8/2009-present.
- Associate Head, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering. Manage undergraduate affairs and assessment, and prepare department for ABET (Accreditation). Was instrumental in department’s obtaining ABET accreditation for the computer engineering program. Have been through two (2) ABET accreditation cycles for two (2) programs. 8/02-6/07.
- ABET Program Evaluator Have done an accreditation visits for six programs and have prepared 3-EE/CpE Self-Study documents.
- Knox County Election Commission: Commissioner of Elections. Oversee elections, certify election results. This is a part-time position and person appointed by Knox County legislative delegation. 4/01-4/11
- Hewlett Packard Company: Member of Technical Staff. Design and development engineer. Products included environmental and chemical analyzers, biomedical instrumentation and computer graphics displays. 8/78-9/89.
- U.S. House of Representatives: AAAS/IEEE USA Congressional Fellow. Chief Science Advisor for Congressman Dana Rohrabacher (R CA). Advised member on science issues; primary focus on intellectual property issues. 1/94 8/95.
- New Mexico State University: Hewlett Packard Visiting Assistant Professor. 8/82 8/84
Pennsylvania State University King of Prussia Graduate Center: Adjunct Electrical Engineering Instructor. 1/85 6/88.