American Society of Civil Engineers
The USCGA Student Chapter of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)consists of cadets enrolled in the Civil Engineering Major. ASCE is a professional membership organization which focuses on:
- Promoting engineering excellence through public policy activities;
- Developing civil engineering positions on public policy issues;
- Integrating and focusing local, state and national ASCE resources to impact public policy efficiently and effectively;
- Maintaining a quick response capability for short notice issues;
- Undertaking agenda-setting and pro-active public policy activities;
- Educating and assisting public policymakers to better understand the engineering impacts of legislative and regulatory proposals;
- Providing coalition-building leadership in order to increase the impact of ASCE's public policy positions;
- Promoting the understanding and participation of ASCE members in public policy activities.
The USCGA student chapter of ASCE helps introduce cadets to civil engineering in the real world by attendance at chapter meetings and lectures, tours to work sites, and during monthly lunch meetings held on campus. The Chapter is also involved in monthly ethics lectures presented to cadets in engineering majors.
Learn more about ASCE.