Recently, the fourth class began taking boards. We are expected to learn and memorize certain indoctrination information, then go into an oral exam in which we are asked ten questions. Successfully passing the board is the first step to getting back our privileges – walking normally, not having to keep our eyes in the boat, etc. But for my roommate and me, one of the most exciting prospects of passing is… music out loud!!! Right now, we can only listen to our music through headphones. It’s not too bad, but it does make it easier if you can just hit “play” on the computer and jam out while folding laundry on your bed. I’m determining a playlist to blare through the wing area until someone tells me to be quiet…
- “Footloose” by Kenny Loggins – Because once we get full carry-on, we’ll all be able to “Cut loose” and act like ourselves again! (I promise that was the only corny one on this list.)
- “Carry On My Wayward Son” by Kansas – I challenge you to figure that one out.
- “Let It Go” from Frozen – No specific reason, I just really like this song. It makes for one great karaoke session.
- “Animal” by Def Leppard – Once we get all of our privileges, Chase Hall will sound like a zoo for a few days, because fourth class love to hear themselves talk in the passageways.
- “The Parting Glass” by The Wailin’ Jennys – After I pass boards, I’m going to reward myself by watching “The Walking Dead” all weekend.
- “Get Lucky” by Daft Punk – Over Swab Summer, you’re not going to hear very much music. Occasionally, though, there’ll be a quick song here or there. This one was one of the first ones I heard while actually in Chase; then on Eagle, it seemed like it was being played constantly! So, I have some of the fonder Swab Summer memories associated with it (yeah, those do exist).
- “Courageous: by Casting Crowns – It’s one of my favorite Christian songs, with a great beat to it, from a movie I love.
- “Turn the Page” by Bruce Springsteen – It mentions Omaha.
- “Paradise” by Coldplay – I didn’t start listening to Coldplay until I got to the Academy, and now they’re one of my favorite bands. Right now, I think being able to look at my food constitutes a significant part of my definition of paradise.
- “Defying Gravity” from Wicked – One of my goals is to learn to sing this song one day (such a great range…). So I’ll be learning it by listening to it constantly, and hoping that it grows on my roommate.
So, there’s a lot to look forward to these next few weeks. Wish us luck! Soon enough, there will be all sorts of dissonance floating through the wing areas!
More about Abby.