Skip Navigation Links
FacebookFlickrTwitterYou Tube
<< February 2018 >>
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28      

cadet blogs

First Phase Eagle

(The Cadet Experience, Class of 2014) Permanent link   All Posts
 Megan Rudy I don’t even know where to begin. School ended and we stayed up all night packing our rooms up and getting ready for the 21-day voyage across the Atlantic. The morning before we left, we realized that we would probably need our sweatshirts that we had already packed and put in the trunk room, so we had to go to the book store and buy some warmer clothes, which needed to be squished into our already bursting sea bags. Then we took the yellow school bus down to New London to board Eagle. The first night we were lucky enough to get libo so we went out to dinner at Chili’s and had our last meal on land. We made one final Target run and came back to watch a movie with our classmates on the mess deck. Everything seemed calm and fun. The next morning we woke up early to sail stations and set sail.

On the second day at sea, the sun was out and everyone was on the waist sleeping, because we weren’t yet used to the listing and were extremely tired. That night, the sewage backfired into the female head and a lot of people had to stand in sewage and clean it up. The next morning, the gale hit. We woke up to the alarm of sail stations and quickly changed into foul weather gear and climbed up to the deck, where there were lines across the deck to grab so that we wouldn’t fall but, of course, I fell as soon as I had crossed the middle of the waste. Moments later I turned around to see a classmate of mine fly from one end of the ship to the other into a female crewmember. This ended up in her breaking her leg! We made it through the sail station, which lasted almost three hours in the freezing cold, 20 knot wind with 20 foot wave splashing over the waste. The Captain decided that the conditions were so bad that he sent most of the cadets down to our berthing areas to sleep/wait out the storm. Below deck was not much better. The peanut butter jars from the mess deck had flown into the walls and there was nasty stuff on the floors, walls and ceiling and all of the sick people were sitting down there, because the center of the ship is the least rocky. In my berthing area everyone but me and a couple others were on the ground or in their racks throwing up, so I crawled in my top rack and laid there for several hours with my hands covering my nose, ears and my eyes shut. Finally, we were called on deck after the storm and there was a lot of repairing and cleaning to fix the damage done.

The rest of the voyage seemed like nothing after that incident, it was mostly foggy and rainy and cold the whole way to Ireland, and we hit a small storm off Ireland, which was so uneventful that I even climbed to the ta’gallant during the storm which was scary yet exhilarating. We were listing so far that the water seemed pretty close to the sails. I climbed down from sail stations and was looking forward to the curry dinner, but while I was walking to the benches with my tray in hand, a fellow shipmate who had lost control flew into me, spilling the green curry all over me and my tea hit an FS crew member. After this, we proceeded to sail stations again, which I had to do covered in curry.

We finally arrived in Ireland, which was a blast. I spent time with my friends on land and since we arrived a day early we got two nights of overnight libo and had a traditional Irish meal and went shopping all day. The trip to Germany went by quickly and my family visited me there and I got to give them a tour of Eagle, then we departed for London where we only got 5 hours of libo, then flew back to New London.

More about Megan.