Civil Engineering, Assistant Professor
Department of Engineering
U.S. Coast Guard Academy
Upon his graduation from USCGA in May 2000, LCDR Maggi was assigned to CGC Confidence (WMEC 619) in Port Canaveral, Florida where he served as a Deck Watch Officer from June 2000 to June 2002. He was then assigned as the Executive Officer on board CGC Edisto (WPB 1313) in San Diego, California from July 2002 to July 2004.
LCDR Maggi then attended the University of Connecticut where he graduated in December 2005 with a master’s degree in Civil Engineering. Following graduate school he was assigned to Civil Engineering Unit Providence, where he served as both a Design Project Manager and a Construction Project Manager providing mission support to the Coast Guard’s First District. In July 2009, LCDR Maggi joined the USCGA faculty as an Instructor where he taught for four years before returning to CEU Providence to serve as the Real Property and Planning Branch Chief for one year and then the Executive Officer for one year.
In August 2015, LCDR Maggi became a member of the Permanent Commissioned Teaching Staff and is currently working toward his Ph.D. in Civil Engineering at the University of Rhode Island.
- M.S.C.E., University of Connecticut, December 2005
- B.S.C.E., U.S. Coast Guard Academy, May 2000
- Civil Engineering Design, Project Advisor
- Construction Project Management, Lecture
- Soils, Lecture and Lab
- Materials for Civil and Construction Engineers, Lecture and Lab
- Dynamics, Lecture
- Statics and Engineering Design, Lecture
- Maggi, B., Jackson, H., Tarhini, K., and Rumsey, N., “Improving Students Understanding of Engineering Concepts Through Project Based Learning,” Proceedings of the 42nd Frontiers in Education Conference, Seattle, WA, October 2012.
- Maggi, B., Jackson, H., Tarhini, K., and Russell, J. “United States Coast Guard Academy Robotics on Water Competition as Recruiting Tool – Program Enhancement for STEM & Diversity Outreach,” Proceeding of the 41st Frontiers in Education Conference, Rapid City, SD, October 2011.
- Professional Engineer in Florida since 2010
- Certified Project Management Professional since 2008
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- Society of American Military Engineers