The Office of Inclusion and Diversity is proud to host the 42nd annual Eclipse Week from April 3rd through 8th, 2017. This year’s theme is “Character: Who You Are When No One is Looking.” Registration is required by March 24th.
Eclipse is the Academy’s premier opportunity for service-wide fellowship and learning. It is the only event that unites alumni and cadets each year for personal and professional development. Besides promoting camaraderie and esprit d’Corps, Eclipse also supports strategic goals:
- Retaining top talent
- Recruiting future cadets
- Inspiring a climate of inclusion
Featured speakers include: Mr. John Quiñones, Admiral Paul Zukunft, and Rear Admiral Joseph Vojvodich
Other highlights include:
- Professional networking sessions
- Student Talent Show featuring cadets and Connecticut College undergrads
- Award Banquet
View Eclipse Week 2017 Flyer
SUPTNOTE 5305: 2017 Eclipse Awards
Past Award Recipients
History of Eclipse Week
Eclipse Week is a celebratory tradition established by the Genesis Club in the 1970s to mentor and inspire cadets in preparation for lasting careers as officers in the Coast Guard. The Genesis Club was formed as a social outlet for the few African American cadets within the Corps of Cadets. Over time, Genesis evolved into one of the largest and most active clubs on campus, and became instrumental in professional development and retention.
Forty years later Genesis Club was renamed the Genesis Council. Other councils committed to inclusion, diversity, professional development, and public service formed. These include:
Today, Eclipse Week offers a series of activities, meetings, social events and presentations featuring national diversity experts, Coast Guard personnel, cadets, faculty and staff.
Eclipse is unique among the military service academies and exemplifies the Coast Guard Academy’s continuing commitment to diversity and leadership development.
Past Eclipse Weeks and Themes
- 2016: Mirroring Positive, Change, Starting from Within
- 2015: Strength in Diversity...Empowerment Through Inclusion
- 2014: Understanding the Past, Reinventing the Future
- 2013: Check the Compass...Chart the Course
- 2012: Openness. Inclusion. Change
- 2011: Reconceptualizing Leadership Through a Diversity Lens
- 2010: Our Legacy Starts Now
For more information, please contact Ms. Richelle Johnson via email or by phone at (860) 701-6557.